• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

US pilot who dismissed Pearl Harbor reports dies in San Diego

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12045948

Rest in Peace Brother! Those were very confusing times!!

SAN DIEGO (AP) — An American pilot who dismissed initial reports of what turned out to be the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor has died at age 96.

Kermit Tyler was on duty Dec. 7, 1941, when two privates reported a large blip on their radar screen. Tyler famously responded, "Don't worry about it," thinking it was a flight of U.S. B-17 bombers.

Those words haunted Tyler for years, though historian Daniel Martinez says congressional committees and military inquiries that looked into what happened at Pearl Harbor did not find the pilot at fault.

Tyler's daughter, Julie Jones, says her father died Jan. 23 in San Diego after suffering two strokes in the last two years.

ears

x2,,,,

i would hate to live with that on my concience..........

i think any one else woulda done the same......

who knew there was gonna be an out of the blue attack......

no worries.. america repaid the debt! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA bomb away!!!!!

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Another WWII Vet departed us. The finest generation is disappearing. Don't let their memories and valor do the same. Teach our young what happened and never forget what their generation done for this country. I'm so glad they finally got the WWII memorial up in DC, what a piece of art and tribute. Just sad so many WWII vets could not be among us to the tribute dedicated to them. Took too damn long, that was the shameful part about it.

Shane361

Spent a few hours watching Battle 360 I think it was called on the History Channel about the war. Amazing the life of a Military man during the war. So many crazy fights, deaths, sinking, destruction, loses and victories. Learned ALOT about that time. Even the brass plates on this ship the USS Ardent which was also sank in 1945 and the name brought back to life on a new ship. Crazy times in history....MANY GAVE ALL!!