• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

BAD Times with supercharger

maverick169v

WS Posting God
so do 4.10s. not shortchanging anybody but its simple math. its gearing a car to max out at 1/8 mile and having it fall on its face shortly there after. there is also honda civics running low 8s, cuz there car is gutted and is running slicks. they arent fast either, just run a fast 1/8th you know what i mean?

not taking shots it just urks me when i hear all this motor over blower talk. cause really its gear talk, nothing to do with motors. its gears and traction. there is guys on mod depot running mid 11s on stock longblock n/a set ups. gears, traction, and weight. something else you got to keep in mind eric is youve got a centri blower, you dont make boost at low rpms. that could be whats hurting your trap speed.

aside from that tires are a big deal. i got a buddy with a t/a that makes 450rwhp and runs high 9s. why? cause hes got 10k in his motor and 500 bucks in all four of his tires. hes launching on garbage rubber. you want to run faster you need gears, control arms, subframes, slicks, and a strong clutch. one of these days i will take the pony down and launch it around 4.5k and see just what it can run, just for kicks. but yeah man that power doesnt get to the ground it doesnt do crap.

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
1/8 is about hwta u said reaction, gears, tires etc win is a win. 1/4 mile is too far to test for some. uuntil then il enjoy mytimes andvicortys

yosemiddysam

Donator
Im over 500 HP and I ran a 7.9 @ 95 MPH. I dont see where you were slow????Granted I agree that traction is an issue cause I blow the tires off in first and the times dont get better if I try second.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
okay.... first off we did the math and my gears equal out to 3.73's with my high tire size! 4.10's arent making that big of a difference. if anyhthing they are hurting me cause my 3-4th shift comes 20ft before the finish line.

second off to black, i was running 9.2 on street tires witha 2.67 60ft (terrible)

and third look at the AF, you said it mate a noise up at 5000rpm. sounds like it could be detonation to me.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
THE KID IS HAVING A MISSING ISSUE!!!!! Lets not get off track here and bash his driving skills or what not. Initially I thought he said it was on take off. Now he says it happens @ 4-5K rpm which makes even more sense to be blowing out the spark when the car is most likely in full boost at that point.

Pull the plugs out, check the gap. I would lower the gap until it stopped doing that or buy a good after market ignition.

maverick169v

WS Posting God
beejay31000 said:
okay.... first off we did the math and my gears equal out to 3.73's with my high tire size! 4.10's arent making that big of a difference. if anyhthing they are hurting me cause my 3-4th shift comes 20ft before the finish line.

so how then do two cars, one making 230 and one making closer to 400 run close to the same time. if it equaled to 3.73s your car wouldnt fall on its face after like 100mph. i have 3.73s and i am hardly into third at the end. regardless of tire size, the car is geared lower to use its full potential in a short distance is what im saying.

gears help a lot man. a lot. i see dudes with stock gears run like crap up there. like i said man you get to run all the way up to 4th, the gears make a lot more acceleration for the work the engine does. course i dont know what my gears would equal to cause i have slicks but im saying if you had the stock rear end you would be running high 9s.

eric i gapped your plugs when i put them in. did you have a spark issue at ret? it wouldnt hurt to call and ask greg to see what he thinks. it could be an a/f issue too check for leaks in all the piping. i remember that all being a less than perfect fit. i could see the torque maybe letting an elbow or something slide loose.

maverick169v

WS Posting God
i think its the maf piping, that stuff doesnt fit together so well i forget what the gap was but i gapped them at what the manual called. .32 i think?

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
That should be a small enough gap. If I were you I would invest in some t-bolt clamps. They are kind of pricey, but worth thier weight if they solve your problem. They sell those at NAPA in all different sizes. You have to ask at the parts counter for the size you need.

maverick169v

WS Posting God
now i know you have aftermarket COPS. try putting the stock ones on. greg at ret told me that aftermarket cops are bad news.

02gt

well i pulled one of the plugs and it is .035, further more i pulled (by chance) a second coil and low and behold there is standing water in the hole where the spark plug is at, it had water all the way up to the head of the plug. So im pretty sure that was the problem im in the process of checking the others. yeah i think i might put the stocks back on because the water came from the ice that i put on the engine of friday at the races. The coil boot was sitting in an aquard way that allowed water in to the hole but still made contact with pthe plug. we'll see what happens when i started her up.

02gt

i think it might be the new boost pipe as well because i had to do some cutting of the rubber fittings too, i checked the clamps twice and they seem tight so... we'll see.

02gt

well i got the car back together and some how, some way the ticking noise that i heard coming from under the car is gone, it may have been related to the vibration and the the car's idle seems normal again after cleaning the water out of the spark plug hole. So i would say the problem is fixed.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
If I were you I would stay away from putting ice on the car at the track. You really aren't going to make that much of a difference by doing that. I would learn how to drive the car first and then worry about stuff like that later. I'm switching to an automatic, so I'm gonna have to learn how to drive all over again and then maybe 100-150 shot of NOS will follow.

Good job finding the problem. If you have an air compressor I'd try to blow all of that water out of there.