• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

IM SO FREAKING LOST, IM PULLING MY HAIR OUT

Dusten

Donator
Board Member
you're computer isn't going to add fuel the point of being rich, not that rich. Vacuum leaks will often cause lean on both banks, as at idle the car isnt using the o2's to adjust fuel, its using the MAF transfer functions based on airflow. Thus, the vacuum leak and its excess unmetered air cause a lean condition. The problem with you throwing all these parts at is you've created extra variables, and still not solved anything

Dusten

Donator
Board Member
Did you try pulling the vacuum line off the regulator and see what it does to your fuel pressure? Have you checked for faulty injectors? Its possible you got some crap in the lines that is causing your injectors to stick.

wildman97

Camp Pendleton CA
Did you just get this car? or did it just start doing this? If it just started what was the last thing you did to the car? It seems to always be something small, so work the little things first. Also, post on all the forums with your problem someone will have had the same issue befor and can help you out. www.corral.net is a good one, www.norcal1320.com as well. Just search, search, search...

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
If it was dumping fuel due to a vacuum leak, it would be on the high end. Running lean at idle is a vacuum leak. My last vacuum leak showed 16:1 at idle. Besides, vacuum leaks dont go away!!!! If the computer is demanding fuel, it is seeing air without actually getting any air.

Did you check the MAF yet. MAF plus O2 sensors determine fuel load!!!!

(NW)Drake

who said that getting old sucks :-P
Yea the maf is good and i just replaced my o2s so im just gonna dyno it to see where im at

BassMaster5000

Donator
I'm telling you man, you don't want to put it on a dyno right now. Sort the problem out first, then bring the car in there.. Hell, I would even wait until you have more done to it, because dyno time isn't the cheapest thing in the world.

Dusten

Donator
Board Member
What is a dyno going to tell you that you can't figure out from driving it around? You AFR's? Find someone with a wideband and install it. You can easily tell lean vs rich just by pulling your plugs, i asked you do that earlier and snap a picture. It would help, and it would let you know if its really rich like i said it was, or fake rich like you thing.

DrunkFatguy

I'm wondering if you ever checked to see if your timing chain is stretched. You can do this by popping off the Dist. Cap after you bring the crank damper to TDC. Mark the TDC on the damper and bar the engine backwards while watching the distributer rotor. when the tip of the rotor begins to move look back at the mark on the damper, anything more than 1-2 degrees will have your Cam timing off while your Ignition timing will be set. You can have your Cam timing off in relation to your crank but the Ignition timing can be dead on. If you have just installed a new chain or gears in the last few days, weeks or months please disregard but from your description of the problem it sounds like that is what you have.

(NW)Drake

who said that getting old sucks :-P
What is a dyno going to tell you that you can't figure out from driving it around? You AFR's? Find someone with a wideband and install it. You can easily tell lean vs rich just by pulling your plugs, i asked you do that earlier and snap a picture. It would help, and it would let you know if its really rich like i said it was, or fake rich like you thing.

idk anyone with a wideband

Dusten

Donator
Board Member
then pull your plugs and post pictures, should only take 20 minutes

96PuttStang

yeah take a look at ur plugs they will give u an indepth idea of wats goin on. and dont dyno until u have it running right youll be wasting ur time and money also check your tailpipe if there is white or gray residue then its lean if theres black residue inside then it rich but definitely look at ur plugs

DrunkFatguy

what would have stretched my timing chain and the can only has 130k mi on it
you are saying the Chain and gearset have "130,000" miles or 130K miles right... it's installed in a Mustang, I've seen chains last somewhere around 150k or better with maintained and regularly driven vehicles but given this is a vehicle whose throttle is (lets be Honest now! it is a Mustang!) regularly flogged, it may have stretched. I would leave no stone unturned hunting this problem, you never know.