• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

i bought a 2004 cobra

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
ok, would you reccoment getting a tuner? like sct livewire? what handheld would you go with?

and would it be possible to pull the current tune off and put it on the tuner for when the car goes back to texas where there is 93?
How is your car tuned without a tuner?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Its all depends on what your needs and wants is. XCAL3 would serve your basic need, like for me to store tunes. But if you do alot of your own tuning or adjust your car's parameter or datalogging, etc, then livewire would be the choice. It just depends on what you will use it for.

90stripes

the car was dyno tuned before i bought it... im assuming using a chip?

if i get a tuner and pull the timing, it wont through the afr out? it wouldnt run rich?

from what i have heard with handhelds you cant be very specific with the settings... am i mistaken?

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
the car was dyno tuned before i bought it... im assuming using a chip?

if i get a tuner and pull the timing, it wont through the afr out? it wouldnt run rich?

from what i have heard with handhelds you cant be very specific with the settings... am i mistaken?
Make sure your car still has a tune. Usually they leave the cars tune less and no removing timing 2-4 degress wont affect it. What I am concern is what happenen to the tuner. I would make sure it has a chip. Rarely see chips for these cars but there is chips

90stripes

my dad has driven it a couple times, and he gave it a thorough test drive, he didint hear anything weird. the dealership i got the car from isnt a big dealership, they buy cars off auctions. they new what they had, i dont believe they did anything to the car as far as the computer and stuff goes... how can i tell if there is a chip?

so

90stripes

my dad has driven it a couple times, and he gave it a thorough test drive, he didint hear anything weird. the dealership i got the car from isnt a big dealership, they buy cars off auctions. they new what they had, i dont believe they did anything to the car as far as the computer and stuff goes... how can i tell if there is a chip?

so all i need to do is buy a hand held?

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Car probably still has a tune in it. The only problem is when u buy a new tuner the tuned file gets loaded into your tuner. The cars stock file is in the old tuner. You cant put your car back to stock have to contact sct or diablo for stock file.. Pain in the a.s.s not a big deal probably out of factory warranty anyways...

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
In this situation I would check to see if it indeed has a chip. If it doesnt get it tuned asap

90stripes

yea the car is out of waranty. ive never messed with chips or tuners before, where would the chip be? on the computer or plugged into the obd II plug? the computer is still in the floor panel on the passanger side right?

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
yea the car is out of waranty. ive never messed with chips or tuners before, where would the chip be? on the computer or plugged into the obd II plug? the computer is still in the floor panel on the passanger side right?

Located on the cpu

90stripes

ok thanks E, now onto a different subject...

with the set up i have now, about how much power would you say im putting on the ground with 12 lbs boost?

could i go up to 14-15 safely, and about how much power should that make?

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
ok thanks E, now onto a different subject...

with the set up i have now, about how much power would you say im putting on the ground with 12 lbs boost?

could i go up to 14-15 safely, and about how much power should that make?

Depends on the upper and lower you have with the right upper and lower should be over 500+

90stripes

what would be a good combination?

different combinations are better/worse with belt slip right? what company makes the best pullies for the cobra?

yosemiddysam

Donator
The only real different I see between ours is I had the stage 5 Port and run an upper only but mine mad 518 502. I would get back, buy an ex cal3 and take it straight to Greg up in Downey. It will need a retune and he is the best for our cars!!!!! Congrats and hope this helped. Just a lil ole 60-70 shot made mine jump to 571 hp and 616 tq lol

90stripes

ok, so i cant just get a tuner and pull a couple degrees out of it? im guessing messing with the timing will through out the air fuel ratio?

how much boost are you making?